Friday, April 18, 2014

Even Trash Can Be Fertile

Hey all!

Sorry it's been a while...I kinda sorta got HIRED.

I am so SO grateful to be employed again after an agonizing  6 months. Not only am I employed, but I am employed in a position that I really truly enjoy. I had training for two weeks, then starting working the position on Sunday. I worked Sunday thru Wed (Tues and Wed were 12 hr shifts) and I STILL enjoyed going in. I have never felt excited to go into work, and I feel so blessed to be hired in a place of employ where I actually DO enjoy going in.

In other not-so-nice news, our plumbing is El Grosso. The drain in our bathtub (and the only functioning shower of the two in the house) keeps getting blocked and pushing the water back up to overflow into the basin. We have had our landlord bring someone in once, and then when it happened again, the landlord came to try and fix it himself. When the plumber came in the first time, he said that it was the actual pipes, and that the landlord wouldn't fix it. This angered me, but none of our other roommates felt that it was that big of a deal so I left it. (I suppose it should be known that I am the one that makes the "mean" or "no fun" calls to the landlord if we have an issue. This is fine by me...I really kind of like being the bad guy sometimes).

So this morning after one of the girls had taken a shower, I went down to take one myself. I go into the bathroom and noticed that one of my shampoo bottles had been knocked onto the floor somehow. I picked it up, pulled back the shower curtain, and was disgusted by what I saw: Hair. Everywhere. Initially I thought that one of the girls I live with (who shaves half her head regularly...sounds weirder than it looks...truly!) had neglected to wash out the basin after she shaved. I was angry at her and stormed upstairs to talk to the roommate who had just gotten out of the shower (NOT the girl who shaves her head) and asked her whether she had texted the girl about how gross it was. She looked at me, surprised. As I inquired further, she explained to me that it wasn't our roommate's fault, that the water had pushed the hairs back up while she was showering. Feeling somewhat embarrassed (and relieved that I hadn't texted the gal with a nasty message about how disgusting the tub looked), I decided to call the land lord.

To say that I was angry was an understatement...I was livid. I was shaking all over. Now, let it be known that I have been dubbed "The Queen of Overreaction" by my family, but still! Having to call a THIRD time for the same problem? Ridiculous. I left a message, stating that if he did not fix the problem asap, that we would have to take action.

After all this I was not only riled up, I was still greasy-haired because I couldn't bear to take a shower in such a gross environment. I got dressed, grabbed my phone, and took a walk around the block to cool off. As I turned a corner (I was having a great conversation with The Doctor...sad but true insight into my life), I noticed something that nearly caused me to burst into tears. Here's a picture:


There were beautiful, blue flowers growing out of a trashed lawn. It made me realize that even beautiful things can grow out of the garbage, that even trash can be fertile ground from which flowers can spring.

The apartment's plumbing problem in the scope of things is really not that bad, is it? :)

I'm still gonna make sure he fixes it properly this time...

Peace and love, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment